Electrical and Computer Engineering
Chao Wang is a postdoctoral researcher in the TETRAPODS Institute of Data Science at the University of California Davis. He is working with Prof. Chen-Nee Chuah at the Department of Electrical & Computer Engineering. He completed his Ph.D. in Mathematics from The Chinese University of Hong Kong under the direction of Prof. Raymond Chan and worked closely with Prof. Robert Plemmons at Wake Forest University. Previously, he worked with Prof. Yifei Lou at the University of Texas (UT) Dallas and Prof. Xun Jia at UT Southwestern Medical Center.
His research interests include scientific computing, compressed sensing, interdisciplinary mathematical modeling, convex and nonconvex optimization, medical imaging, machine learning, and numerical linear algebra.
- The Chinese University of Hong Kong, Ph.D. in Mathematics
- SIAM Early Career Travel Grant Award, 2020, 2018
- SIAM Student Chapter Certificate of Recognition,2018
- Best Poster Presentation Award at 4th AoE Symposium on Organelle Biogenesis and Function, 2017
- Best Student Paper Award at Annual Meeting of China Society for Industrial and Applied Mathematics (CSIAM), 2017
- CUHK Postgraduate Studentship, 2015 - 2018
- Scientific computing, compressed sensing, interdisciplinary mathematical modeling, convex and nonconvex optimization, medical imaging, machine learning, and numerical linear algebra.
- C. Wang, M. Yan, and Y. Lou. “Accelerated schemes for the L1/L2 minimization.” IEEE Transaction on Signal Processing,68, 2660 – 2669,2020
- C. Wang, Y. Gonzalez, C. Shen, B. Hrycushko, and X. Jia. “Simultaneous Needle Catheter Selection and Dwell Time Optimization for Preplanning of HDR Brachytherapy of Prostate Cancer”, Physics in Medicine & Biology, to appear.
- C. Wang, Y. Gonzalez, C. Shen, and X. Jia “Simultaneous needle selection and dwell time optimization in prostate cancer high-dose-rate brachytherapy.” Medical Physics 47 (6), E367-E367, 2020.
- Y. Huang, Y. Zhong, C. Wang, Y. Gonzalez, C. Shen, and X. Jia. “Comprehensive calibration and evaluation of a cone-beam CT on a pre-clinical small animal radiation research platform”, Medical Physics 47 (6), E731-E731, 2020.
- C. Wang, R.H. Chan, R.J. Plemmons, and S. Prasad, “Point spread function engineering for 3D imaging using a continuous exact L0 penalty (CEL0) based algorithm.” Mathematical Methods in Image Processing and Inverse Problems, Springer, to appear.
- Y. Rahimi, C. Wang, H. Dong, and Y. Lou. “A scale invariant approach for sparse signal recovery.” SIAM Journal on Scientific Computing, 41(6), A3649–A3672, 2019.
- C. Wang, G. Ballad, R.J. Plemmons, and S. Prasad “Joint 3D localization and classification of space debris using a multispectral rotating point spread function.” Applied Optics, 58, 8598-8611, 2019.
- C. Wang, R.H. Chan, M. Nikolova, R.J. Plemmons, and S. Prasad. “Non-convex optimization for 3-dimensional point source localization using a rotating point spread function.” SIAM Journal on Imaging Sciences, 12(1):259–286, 2019.
- C. Wang, R.J. Plemmons, S. Prasad, R.H. Chan, and M. Nikolova. “Novel sparse recovery algorithms for 3D debris localization using rotating point spread function imagery.” In Proc. 2018 AMOS Technical Conference, Maui, HI. 2018.
- X. Fang, F. Lin, and C. Wang. “Estimation of a regularization parameter for a robin inverse problem.” East Asian Journal on Applied Mathematics, 7(2) 325-342, 2017.
- C. Wang*, M. Tao, J. Nagy, and Y. Lou. “Limited-angle CT reconstruction via the L1/L2 minimization.” arXiv preprint arXiv:2006.00601
- C. Wang, M. Tao, CN. Chuah, J. Nagy, and Y. Lou*. “Minimizing L 1 over L 2 norms on the gradient .” arXiv preprint arXiv:2101.00809
- AAPM Junior membership
- SIAM membership